The Per Mille symbol (‰) is a character that cannot be easily typed in using the keyboard. This is only possible when you use a shortcut.
On this page, you’ll learn some of the shortest possible ways you can use to insert this symbol. You can also use the button below to copy and paste this symbol.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
The Per Mille Symbol quickest Shortcuts
The quickest shortcut to type the Per Mille Symbol is [Alt] + 0137 for Windows and [Option] + [Shift] + R for Mac. To use the Windows shortcut, press down the [Alt] key and type 0137 using the numeric keypad. For Mac, press and hold the Option and the Shift keys then hit once on the R key.
These are the quickest shortcuts for both Windows and Mac that can be used to type the Per Mille symbol in any text editor like Google Docs or Microsoft Word.
Now let’s dive into the detailed methods you can use for this task.
Using the Per Mille [Alt] Code Shortcut
The Per Mille symbol [Alt] code shortcut is [Alt] + 0137.
You can use the character code to type in the Per Mille symbol and any other symbol. This code is well known as the [Alt] Code. And it is used to type symbols that do not have a dedicated key on the keyboard.
Below are the steps you can use to easily type this symbol using the [Alt] Code method.
- Click your cursor where you need to type or insert the symbol.
- Press and Hold down the [Alt] key.
- Whilst still holding on to the [Alt] key, type the Per Mille [Alt] Code (0137) using the numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard.
- Then release the [Alt] key to get the symbol.
As soon as you release the [Alt] key after typing the [Alt] code, the symbol will be typed into your document.
These are the steps you may take when it comes to using the Per Mille symbol [Alt] code.
Using the Per Mille Shortcut for Mac
The Per Mille symbol shortcut for Mac is [Option] + [Shift] + R.
If are using the Mac OS, you can easily do the Per Mille symbol on your keyboard using this shortcut. To do this,
- Click to place your cursor where you need the Per Mille sign.
- Press and hold the Option and the Shift keys simultaneously.
- Whilst holding to these keys, press once on the R key using the number keys at the top of the keyboard.
As soon as you hit the R key whilst holding to the Option and the Shift keys, the symbol will be inserted exactly where you placed your cursor.
This is just another shortcut you can use to type this symbol on Mac.
Using Copy and Paste Method
Below is the Per Mille symbol if you wish to copy and paste it into your document.
This is the shortest shortcut for you if you love to copy and paste symbols.
All you need to do is select the symbol on the web or on the character map, then hit Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to where you need it, and hit Ctrl+V to paste.
If you are on Windows, below are the steps to copy and paste the Per Mille symbol using the character map.
- Click on the Start button or key.
- Start typing Character Map to search for the app.
- You should see the Character Map app in the search results. Click on it to launch it.
- Once the Character Map is opened, click to check the Advanced view checkbox to expand for more options.
- On the Advanced view panel, you’ll see a search bar. Type Per Mille in the search bar, then hit enter to search for the symbol.
- Once the symbol appears, double click on it to select it. If the symbol appears in the Characters to copy box, it means it has been selected.
- When selected, click on the copy button to copy it into your clipboard. You can close the Character Map now.
- Switch over to the application where you need the symbol, place your cursor at the right place, and hit Ctrl+V to paste the copied symbol.
And there you go.
These are the steps you may follow to copy and paste the Per Mille symbol anywhere on Windows using the character map.
Using Insert Symbol in MS Office
The Symbol window is a library of all the symbols available on a PC. The feature is available on all the Microsoft Office apps including MS Word and Excel.
Obey the below steps to easily find and insert the Per Mille symbol using the symbol library in Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Click to position the cursor at the place where you want to insert the symbol in the document.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols group, select Symbol > More Symbols.
The Symbol dialog box will appear as shown below;
- On the Symbols tab, make sure that the Font selection is set to the desired font. For more decorative symbols, choose Webdings, the Wingdings, or Symbol.
- Scroll down until you see the desired symbol, and then click it. Or click the desired symbol in the Recently used symbols list.
- To easily locate the Per Mille symbol, type 2030 in the Character Code box at the lower section of the window. The symbol will appear selected.
- Click Insert, and then close the window.
Using the Insert Symbol Method, these are the steps involved.
As you can see in the above options, there are several shortcuts to insert or type the Per Mille symbol anywhere for both Windows or Mac.
If you have any questions or suggestions concerning this article, please let me know in the comments section below.
Thanks for reading.